Our values are often inherited from our parents, and they inherited them from their parents. But are they relevant to us now? There are many reasons why values change, sometimes they just don’t fit right.
I admire people for different reasons. for instance:
- Rafael Nadal for his focus, hard work, talent.
- Oprah because she is self-made, courageous, giving.
- Mother Teresa for being selfless, courageous, honest, generous.
- My dad (no longer with us) because he was true to himself, honest, kind, generous, loving.
- My husband for being caring, loving, generous, selfless, hard working.
There are some values that appear in several of those people and my values incorporate all of those and of course others. For instance one of my values is to be consistent in my life, whether it be working, relaxing or whatever.
Values will always changes as we progress through life. We will meet more people who we admire and perhaps some of the people we currently admire will change their values, and we won’t agree with them.
Values change as our circumstances change, i.e. going through divorce and in the aftermath. Now we have to focus on ourselves and not on making a marriage work.
I like to keep an open mind and check in with myself every so often to make sure I keep my values true to me.
Are there any values you have now that are not fitting right? Check in with yourself to make sure your values are true to you.
Get in touch today and we can have a free informal chat on how I can help you to take action and rediscover your values.
Creedence – Confidence for You
I am helping people to become the very best version of themselves.